ISD Admissions Center
The Independence School District operates a Centralized Admissions Center to serve new students to the ISD along with helping current families with questions about residency.
The Admissions Office is conveniently located at the District's Central Office just south of the intersection of Forest and Truman Road.
Hours of Operation
(August thru May)
MONDAY through FRIDAY
7 AM to 3:30 PM
Below are forms needed for various residency issues. Please follow the directions at the top of each form.
- Residency Affidavit - Used when living with an Independence School District resident in order to prove residency.
- In-District Transfer Request - for families wanting to transfer a student from their home school to another school within the ISD. Please read the section under In-District Transfers in the Policies Section of this site.
- Non-Custodial Waiver - for students enrolling by a non-custodial adult this waiver must be completed. You must provide a letter detailing the reasons why student is not with custodial parent. Waivers are only granted based on hardship and may require a hearing before the Board of Education.
Admissions Center Staff
- Matthew Rorabaugh-Irwin
- Last Names A-E
- Rebekah Huntley
- Last Names F-L
- Edna Walraven
- Last Names M-R
- Kathy McKelvey
- Last Names S-Z
Student Information System Specialist over Admissions and Residency
Assistant Superintendent over Admissions and Residency
Department of Spanish Translation & Interpretation
- Phone: 816-521-5394 Ext. 1
for the 2017-18 School Year
If you are new to the ISD please fill out our online registration to start our enrollment process. If you were a previous ISD student, please do the online registration as a NEW student. DO NOT put in your student ID#.
Student Registration for the 2017-2018 School Year
NEW STUDENTS TO THE ISD
- Click on the link above and fill out an online registration
- If you were a previous ISD student and are returning, please do the online registration as a new student. DO NOT put in your student ID# because this will cause your online registration not to be processed by an Admissions Specialists.
- Once submitted, the registration will go to an Admissions Specialist, who will request records from your student(s) previous school. If they have any questions, they will contact you.
- Once records are received the Admissions Specialist will call you and make an appointment for you to come in with your documents. These documents include but not limited to:
- Photo ID of parent/guardian enrolling student
- Birth certificate
- Immunizations-if not received from previous school
- Court documents, such as custody documents etc.
- Proof of Residency--refer to the section ISD Required Proof of Residency Documents on this page
- Appointment time - expect to meet with Admissions Specialist to review your online registration, documents, and scan in necessary documents to student database. Admissions Specialist will also give you a projected starting date and email the receiving school your information. We will put student start date as 2 business days from the appointment date.
- Parent/Guardian will be contacted by their student(s) school to schedule appointment for scheduling purposes.
- Question about whether you are within our district boundaries-visit the FAQ page on this website and use the boundary map OR call 816-521-5588
- Not a legal guardian of student--make sure you fill out a Non-Custodial Waiver Form located under the Frequently Requested Forms section of this page.
- This waiver form will then have to be approved before enrollment can proceed.
- Not able to provide anything in your name as proof of residency--See Residency Affidavit under Frequently Requested Forms section of this page or call Admissions Office at 816-521-5588
In order to enroll in the Independence School District, each family must prove residency annually. To prove residency, the following documentation is needed. If you do not have the appropriate documentation, you may be asked to make another appointment so you can provide the documentation before student(s) will be enrolled. Please have a Photo ID with you also to verify name on bill matches parent/guardian enrolling student.
- An Electric or Gas Bill from the current address (no more than 30 days old)
AND one of the following
- Copy of Mortgage Payment, Deed of Trust, or Housing Contract
- Copy of Rental Agreement,
- Copy of Lease Agreement,
- Copy of Jackson County Paid Personal Property Tax Receipt
In order to register into the Independence School District, Missouri law requires all students be up-to-date on their immunizations. Click the link below for a handout on immunizations required for all public school students in the state of Missouri. Proof of immunizations must be submitted at the time of registration.
Vaccination Requirements for Incoming 8th and 12th Grade Students
The Independence School District along with the City of Independence Health Department will offer required vaccines for ISD middle and high school students.
MCV and TDAP clinics will be held on Saturday, July 22 at William Chrisman High School from 9 a.m.-noon during the Wellness Expo.
MCV and TDAP clinics will also be held on Tuesday, August 8 at Pioneer Ridge Middle School from 9:00 am - 1:00 pm and Nowlin Middle School from 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm.
MCV and TDAP clinics will also be held on Wednesday, August 9 at Truman High School from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm.
Independence Health Department clinicians will come to the schools and administer Tdap and MCV immunizations. Tdap is a booster offering continued protection from diphtheria, tetanus and whooping cough (pertussis). MCV offers protection from Meningococcal disease. A parent must be present to sign a consent form. If you have insurance, a card is required and the insurance will be billed. It will be free if you don’t have insurance.
The state of Missouri requires all incoming 8th and 12th grade students to have the MCV vaccine. Tdap vaccinations are required for all incoming 8th grade students. Schedules will be held until proof of immunization is received.