ISD Admissions Center
The Independence School District operates a Centralized Admissions Center to serve new students to the ISD along with helping current families with questions about residency.
The Admissions Office is conveniently located at the District's Central Office just south of the intersection of Forest and Truman Road.
Summer Hours of Operation
(June 4 thru July 19)
MONDAY through THURSDAY
7 AM to 5:30 PM
Normal Hours of Operation
(Starting July 23, 2018)
MONDAY through FRIDAY
7 AM to 3:30 PM
Monday, July 23, 2018--Office will be closed from 7 AM to 12:30 PM for Secretary Professional Development
Tuesday, August 14, 2018--Office will be closed from 7 AM to 12:30 PM for District Wide Meeting
Below are forms needed for various residency issues. Please follow the directions at the top of each form.
- Residency Affidavit - Used when living with an Independence School District resident in order to prove residency.
- In-District Transfer Request - for families wanting to transfer a student from their home school to another school within the ISD. Please read the section under In-District Transfers in the Policies Section of this site.
- Non-Custodial Waiver - for students enrolling by a non-custodial adult this waiver must be completed. You must provide a letter detailing the reasons why student is not with custodial parent. Waivers are only granted based on hardship and may require a hearing before the Board of Education.
Admissions Center Staff
- Leah Prutsman
- Last Names A-E
- Rebekah Huntley
- Last Names F-L
- LeRhonda Collier
- Last names M-R
- Kathy McKelvey
- Last Names S-Z
Student Information System Specialist over Admissions and Residency
Assistant Superintendent over Admissions and Residency
Department of Spanish Translation & Interpretation
- Phone: 816-521-5394 Ext. 1
for the 2018-19 School Year
If you are an existing ISD student, you should receive a letter with your student's ID# and re-registration pin number which will enable you to register for the 2018-19 school year. You should receive this letter by July 1. If you are new to the ISD please fill out our online registration to start our enrollment process.
Student Registration for the 2018-2019 School Year
District Residency Verification/Schedule Pick-Up Information for the 2018-2019 School Year for Existing Students Only
- This represents a family that does NOT have utilities in the parent/guardian name and the parent/guardian and student(s) are living with another family in the ISD
- Must provide 3rd proof with parent/guardian's name and address at this time if you have been there over 45 days. Examples are:
- Bank Statement
- Insurance Bill
- Federal papers, food stamps, court documents etc.
- July 9-12 & July 16-19
- Monday thru Thursday 7:30 am to 5:30 pm
- Central Office Location - 201 N Forest, Independence, MO 64050
- This is a walk-in basis and we encourage you to have the online registration done ahead of time!
- Residency affidavits must be done at Central Office and you will receive documentation to give to your child's school after it is complete. They CANNOT be done at the individual schools.
- Questions - Click HERE for the letter with details
Elementary & Independence Academy Schedule/Residency Verification
- August 6-10
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday -- 8:00 am to 3:00 pm
- Tuesday 8:00 am to 7:00 pm
- ELEMENTARY BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT - Tuesday, August 14 -- refer to school mailing for times
Middle School Schedule/Residency Verification (Bingham, Bridger, Nowlin, & Pioneer)
- August 7 - 8:00 am to 7:00 pm
High School Schedule/Residency Verification (Truman, Van Horn, William Chrisman)
- August 6th, 8th, 9th, 13th, 15th - 8:00 am to 3:00 pm
- August 7th - 9:00 am to 7:00 pm
- August 14th - Noon to 3:00 pm
Existing Student Registration
- Students who completed the 2017-2018 school year in the ISD will be receiving a letter which contains your student's ID# and Re-Registration Pin number during the weeks of June 18-June 30. This will allow you to complete your online registration and make any necessary changes to your student's information. If you did not receive a letter, please contact the admissions office before July 23rd otherwise contact your student's school after July 24th.
- If you are enrolling using a residency affidavit (see description to the left) you must do so at the times and dates listed above.
- Each school will have a designated Residency Verification/Schedule Pickup time for you to prove residency and pick up your student's schedule. Please see dates and times listed above or in your school mailing you received.
New Registrations - 1st through 12th grade (online registration opens approximately June 25, 2018)
- Your submitted registration request will be reviewed by a district Admissions Specialist who will also request records from the previous school district. Once we have all necessary records, we will call you to set up an appointment to complete the registration process at our district's central office. Our office will not begin to set appointments until after July 25, 2018 for students new to the ISD. If you have questions, please contact our Admissions Center.
New Registrations - Kindergarten (online registration is available)
- If you attended one of the Kindergarten screening nights in April and completed the online registration at that time or you have since completed a registration, you DO NOT need to do another 2018-2019 registration. Please go to your school to provide your information.
- If you are new and have never completed a 2018-2019 online registration please do so. Your child's registration will be reviewed by an Admissions Specialist and forwarded on to your child's new school. You will not need to come to an appointment - you will just need to show up to your child's school during Residency Verification/Schedule Pickup to complete the process. You will need to show residency, birth certificate, and immunization records.
In order to enroll in the Independence School District, each family must prove residency annually. To prove residency, the following documentation is needed. If you do not have the appropriate documentation, you may be asked to make another appointment so you can provide the documentation before student(s) will be enrolled. Please have a Photo ID with you also to verify name on bill matches parent/guardian enrolling student.
- An Electric or Gas Bill from the current address (no more than 30 days old)
AND one of the following
- Copy of Mortgage Payment, Deed of Trust, or Housing Contract
- Copy of Rental Agreement,
- Copy of Lease Agreement,
- Copy of Jackson County Paid Personal Property Tax Receipt
In order to register into the Independence School District, Missouri law requires all students be up-to-date on their immunizations. Click the link below for a handout on immunizations required for all public school students in the state of Missouri. Proof of immunizations must be submitted at the time of registration.
Vaccination Requirements for Incoming 8th and 12th Grade Students
The Independence School District along with the Jackson County Health Department will offer required vaccines for ISD middle and high school students.
MCV and TDAP clinics will be held on Tuesday, August 7th at Truman High School from 9 am to 7 pm.
MCV and TDAP clinics will also be held on Wednesday, August 8th at Pioneer Ridge Middle School from 9 am to Noon and Nowlin Middle School from 1 pm to 4 pm.
Jackson County Health Department clinicians will come to the schools and administer Tdap and MCV immunizations. Tdap is a booster offering continued protection from diphtheria, tetanus and whooping cough (pertussis). MCV offers protection from Meningococcal disease. A parent must be present to sign a consent form. If you have insurance, a card is required and the insurance will be billed. It will be free if you don’t have insurance.
The state of Missouri requires all incoming 8th and 12th grade students to have the MCV vaccine. Tdap vaccinations are required for all incoming 8th grade students. Schedules will be held until proof of immunization is received.