ISD Admissions Center
The Independence School District operates a centralized Admissions Center to serve new students to the ISD along with helping current families with questions about residency.
The Admissions Office is conveniently located at the District's Central Office just south of the intersection of Forest and Truman Road.
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday
8 AM to 3:30 PM
Below are forms needed for various residency issues. Please follow the directions at the top of each form.
- Residency Affidavit - Used when living with an Independence School District resident in order to prove residency.
- In-District Transfer Request - for families wanting to transfer a student from their home school to another school within the ISD. Please read the section under In-District Transfers in the Policies Section of this site.
- Residency Waiver - for families requesting admission of students who are not residents of the ISD. Waivers are only granted based on hardship and may require a hearing before the Board of Education.
- Non-Custodial Waiver - for students enrolling by a non-custodial adult this waiver must be completed. You must provide a letter detailing the reasons why student is not with custodial parent. Waivers are only granted based on hardship and may require a hearing before the Board of Education.
Admissions Center Staff
Student Information System Specialist over Admissions and Residency
Assistant Superintendent over Admissions and Residency
for the 2016-17 School Year
Upcoming Kindergarten Registration and Summer School Registration
will be coming soon
Student Registration for the 2016-2017 School Year
Registration is on-going for the 2016-17 school year.
New Students to the ISD
- Verify you are living within ISD boundaries--you can refer to our FAQ page for links to our maps
- Fill out the online registration-once submitted an Admissions Specialist will request records and call you for an appointment--if you have all student records in a sealed envelope contact our Admissions Office at 816-521-5588.
- Appointment and Verification of all information and Proof of Residency--if you do not have all documentation you may be asked to schedule another appointment to finish the enrollment process
- Once enrolled by Admissions Specialist the school will notify you within 2 business days
Students returning to ISD-even if you were enrolled sometime during the current school year
Follow steps as a New Student to the ISD
DO NOT enter your previous ISD student ID number
You will register as a new student
If you have any questions during the registration process, you can call the ISD Admissions Center at 816-521-5588 Monday through Friday during normal business hours.
In order to enroll in the Independence School District, each family must prove residency annually. To prove residency, the following documentation is needed. If you do not have the appropriate documentation, you may be asked to make another appointment so you can provide the documentation before student(s) will be enrolled.
- An Electric or Gas Bill from the current address (no more than 30 days old)
and one of the following
- Copy of Mortgage Payment, Deed of Trust, or Housing Contract
- Copy of Rental Agreement,
- Copy of Lease Agreement,
- Copy of Jackson County Paid Personal Property Tax Receipt
In order to register into the Independence School District, Missouri law requires all students be up-to-date on their immunizations. Click the link below for a handout on immunizations required for all public school students in the state of Missouri. Proof of immunizations must be submitted at the time of registration.
New Vaccination Requirements for Incoming 8th and 12th Grade Students
The Independence School District along with the City of Independence Health Department will offer required vaccines for ISD middle and high school students.
MCV and TDAP clinics will be held on Saturday, July 30th at William Chrisman High School from 9 a.m.-noon during the Wellness Expo.
MCV and TDAP clinics will also be held on Monday, August 1st at Nowlin Middle School 4 p.m.-7 p.m., Pioneer Ridge from 9 a.m. to noon and Truman High School from 9 a.m.-7 p.m.
Independence Health Department clinicians will come to the schools and administer Tdap and MCV immunizations. Tdap is a booster offering continued protection from diphtheria, tetanus and whooping cough (pertussis). MCV offers protection from Meningococcal disease. A parent is must be present to sign a consent form. If you have insurance, a card is required and the insurance will be billed. It will be free if you don’t have insurance.
Beginning with the 2016-17 school year, the state of Missouri will require all incoming 8th and 12th grade students to have the MCV vaccine. Tdap vaccinations are required for all incoming 8th grade students. Schedules will be held until proof of immunization is received.