ISD Admissions Center
July 7 – Online Registration Begins for 2021-2022 school year
July 12 - 23 – Residency Affidavit Renewals
July 26 - August 20 – New Enrollee Appointments / Residency Verification
August 23 - First Day of School
The Independence School District operates a Centralized Admissions Center to serve new and current ISD students and families. The ISD Admissions Center will be located at Independence Arts & Technology (315 N. Main Street) from July 8-August 20 to allow for social distancing. While masks are no longer required, the CDC and Independence Health Department strongly recommend that all individuals who are not fully vaccinated continue to wear masks.
New Registration - Pre-K through 12th Grade
Click here to complete online registration for the 2021-2022 regular school year
If you were a previous ISD student and are returning, please complete online registration as a NEW STUDENT. DO NOT put in your student ID number when enrolling. This will cause your online registration to not be processed by an Admissions Specialist.
- Once submitted, the registration will go to an Admissions Specialist, who will request records from your student(s) previous school. If they have any questions, they will contact you.
- Once records are received the Admissions Specialist will call you and make an appointment for you to come in with your documents. These documents include but are not limited to:
- Photo ID of parent/guardian enrolling student
- Birth certificate
- Immunizations-if not received from previous school
- Court Documents, such as custody documents etc.
- Proof of Residency-refer to the section ISD Required Proof of Residency Documents on this page
- Appointment time - expect to meet with an Admissions Specialist to review your online registration, documents, and scan in necessary documents to student databse. The Admissions Specialist will also give you a projected starting date and email the receiving school your information. The student start date is approximately two business days from the appointment date.
- The parent/guardian will be contacted by their student's school to schedule an appointment for scheduling purposes.
Early Education Online Registration
- Completing the online registration DOES NOT mean your child is enrolled in Early Education. Please call Early Education at 816-521-5314 to set up a screening appointment and discuss any additional steps to complete enrollment.
- Click here to access the ISD boundary map OR call 816-521-5588 with boundary questions.
- Make sure you place a check mark in the box of the appropriate grade level to help identify the correct school your student may attend
- Not a legal guardian of the student? Please fill out a Non-Custodial Waiver Form. You must provide a letter detailing the reasons why student is not with custodial parent. Waivers are only granted based on hardship and may require a hearing before the Board of Education.
- Not able to provide documents in your name as proof of residency? See Residency Affidavit or call Admissions Office at 816-521-5588.
ISD Required Proof of Residency Documents
In order to enroll in the Independence School District, each family must prove residency annually. To prove residency, the following documentation is needed:
- An Electric or Gas Bill from the current address (no more than 30 days old)
AND one of the following
- Copy of Mortgage Payment, Deed of Trust, or Housing Contract
- Copy of Rental Agreement,
- Copy of Lease Agreement,
- Copy of Jackson County Paid Personal Property Tax Receipt
If you do not have the appropriate documentation, you may be asked to make another appointment so you can provide the documentation before student(s) will be enrolled. Please have a Photo ID with you also to verify name on bill matches parent/guardian enrolling student. If you are unable to provide documents in your name as proof of residency, please see Residency Affidavit information or call Admissions at 816-521-5588.
ISD Immunization Requirements
In order to register into the Independence School District, Missouri law requires all students be up-to-date on their immunizations. Click the link below for a handout on immunizations required for all public school students in the state of Missouri. Proof of immunizations must be submitted at the time of registration.
The state of Missouri requires all incoming 8th and 12th grade students to have the MCV vaccine. Tdap vaccinations are required for all incoming 8th grade students. Schedules will be held until proof of immunization is received.
The Admissions Office is conveniently located at the District's Central Office just south of the intersection of Forest and Truman Road during the regular school year. The ISD Admissions Center will be located at Independence Arts & Technology (315 N. Main Street) from Jul 8-August 20.
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Admissions Center Staff
- Leah Prutsman
- Last Names A-E
- Amy Zans
- Last Names F-L
- LeRhonda Collier
- Last names M-R
- Olga Salazar
- Last Names S-Z
Information System Specialist over Admissions and Residency
Assistant Superintendent over Admissions and Residency
Department of Spanish Translation & Interpretation
- Phone: 816-521-5394 Ext. 1
- Residency Affidavit (en español)
Used when living with an Independence School District resident in order to prove residency.
- Non-Custodial Form - This waiver must be completed. for students enrolled by a non-custodial adult. You must provide a letter detailing the reasons why student is not with custodial parent. Waivers are only granted based on hardship and may require a hearing before the Board of Education.