ISD Admissions Center
The Independence School District operates a Centralized Admissions Center to serve new students to the ISD along with helping current families with questions about residency.
The Admissions Office is conveniently located at the District's Central Office just south of the intersection of Forest and Truman Road.
Hours of Operation
(August thru May)
MONDAY through FRIDAY
8 AM to 3:30 PM
Our office will be closed from 8 am to 12:30 pm on August 15, 2017 for a district required event.
Below are forms needed for various residency issues. Please follow the directions at the top of each form.
- Residency Affidavit - Used when living with an Independence School District resident in order to prove residency.
- In-District Transfer Request - for families wanting to transfer a student from their home school to another school within the ISD. Please read the section under In-District Transfers in the Policies Section of this site.
- Non-Custodial Waiver - for students enrolling by a non-custodial adult this waiver must be completed. You must provide a letter detailing the reasons why student is not with custodial parent. Waivers are only granted based on hardship and may require a hearing before the Board of Education.
Admissions Center Staff
- Matthew Rorabaugh-Irwin
- Last Names A-E
- Rebekah Huntley
- Last Names F-L
- Edna Walraven
- Last Names M-R
- Kathy McKelvey
- Last Names S-Z
Student Information System Specialist over Admissions and Residency
Assistant Superintendent over Admissions and Residency
for the 2017-18 School Year
If you are an existing ISD student, you should have received a letter with your student's ID# and re-registration pin number which will enable you to register for the 2017-18 school year. If you are new to the ISD please fill out our online registration to start our enrollment process.
Student Registration for the 2017-2018 School Year
District Residency Verification/Schedule Pick-Up Information for the 2017-2018 School Year For Existing Students Only
- Elementary Schedule & Independence Academy
- August 7-11
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday -- 8:00 am to 3:00 pm
- Tuesday 8:00 am to 7:00 pm
- August 7-11
- Middle School Schedule (Bingham, Bridger, Nowlin, & Pioneer)
- August 8 - 8:00 am to 7:00 pm
- High School Schedule (Truman, Van Horn, William Chrisman)
- August 8th, 10th, 11th, 14th - 8:00 am to 3:30 pm
- August 9th - 9:00 am to 7:00 pm
- August 15th - 1:00 pm to 3:30 pm
**If you received a mailing from your neighborhood school, please refer to those documents for information**
Existing Student Registration
- Students who completed the 2016-2017 school year in the ISD will be receiving a letter which contains your student's ID# and Re-Registration Pin number during the weeks of June 26-July 7. This will allow you to complete your online registration and make any necessary changes to your student's information. If you did not receive a letter, please contact your student's school for the information.
- If you are enrolling using a residency affidavit (see description to the left) you must contact our Admissions Office in order to make an appointment. Our office will try to accommodate walk-ins each day but strongly urge you to call and make an appointment for a quicker processing time.
- Each school will have a designated Residency Verification/Schedule Pickup time for you to prove residency and pick up your student's schedule from their neighborhood school. Please see dates and times listed above.
New Registrations - 1st through 12th grade (online registration opens July 10, 2017)
- Your submitted registration request will be reviewed by a district Admissions Specialist who will also request records from your child's past school district. Once we have all necessary records, we will call you to set up an appointment to complete the registration process at our district's Central Office. Our office will not begin to set appointments until after July 26, 2017 for students new to the ISD. If you have questions, please contact our Admissions Center at 816-521-5588
New Registrations - Kindergarten (online registration opens July 10, 2017)
- If you attended one of the Kindergarten screening nights in April and completed the online registration at that time, you DO NOT need to do another 2017-2018 registration. You will simply go to the school and provide your information.
- If you are new and have never completed a 2017-2018 online registration please do so. Your child's registration will be reviewed by an Admissions Specialist and forwarded on to your child's new school. You will not need to come to the Admission Center for an appointment - you will just need to show up to your child's school during Residency Verification/Schedule Pickup to complete the process. You will need to show residency, birth certificate, and immunizations records. If you have questions about kindergarten registration, please contact your child's school.
In order to enroll in the Independence School District, each family must prove residency annually. To prove residency, the following documentation is needed. If you do not have the appropriate documentation, you may be asked to make another appointment so you can provide the documentation before student(s) will be enrolled.
- An Electric or Gas Bill from the current address (no more than 30 days old)
and one of the following
- Copy of Mortgage Payment, Deed of Trust, or Housing Contract
- Copy of Rental Agreement,
- Copy of Lease Agreement,
- Copy of Jackson County Paid Personal Property Tax Receipt
In order to register into the Independence School District, Missouri law requires all students be up-to-date on their immunizations. Click the link below for a handout on immunizations required for all public school students in the state of Missouri. Proof of immunizations must be submitted at the time of registration.
Vaccination Requirements for Incoming 8th and 12th Grade Students
The Independence School District along with the City of Independence Health Department will offer required vaccines for ISD middle and high school students.
MCV and TDAP clinics will be held on Saturday, July 22 at William Chrisman High School from 9 a.m.-noon during the Wellness Expo.
MCV and TDAP clinics will also be held on Tuesday, August 8 at Pioneer Ridge Middle School from 9:00 am - 1:00 pm and Nowlin Middle School from 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm.
MCV and TDAP clinics will also be held on Wednesday, August 9 at Truman High School from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm.
Independence Health Department clinicians will come to the schools and administer Tdap and MCV immunizations. Tdap is a booster offering continued protection from diphtheria, tetanus and whooping cough (pertussis). MCV offers protection from Meningococcal disease. A parent must be present to sign a consent form. If you have insurance, a card is required and the insurance will be billed. It will be free if you don’t have insurance.
The state of Missouri requires all incoming 8th and 12th grade students to have the MCV vaccine. Tdap vaccinations are required for all incoming 8th grade students. Schedules will be held until proof of immunization is received.