ISD Admissions Center
The Independence School District operates a Centralized Admissions Center to serve new students to the ISD along with helping current families with questions about residency.
The Admissions Office is conveniently located at the District's Central Office just south of the intersection of Forest and Truman Road.
Normal Hours of Operation
(Starting July 23, 2018)
MONDAY through FRIDAY
7 AM to 3:30 PM
Below are forms needed for various residency issues. Please follow the directions at the top of each form.
- Residency Affidavit - Used when living with an Independence School District resident in order to prove residency.
- In-District Transfer Request - for families wanting to transfer a student from their neighborhood school to another school within the ISD. You must live within our district boundaries in order to request an in-district transfser. Please read the section under In-District Transfers in the Policies Section of this site.
- Non-Custodial Waiver - for students enrolling by a non-custodial adult this waiver must be completed. You must provide a letter detailing the reasons why student is not with custodial parent. Waivers are only granted based on hardship and may require a hearing before the Board of Education.
Admissions Center Staff
- Leah Prutsman
- Last Names A-E
- Amy Zans
- Last Names F-L
- LeRhonda Collier
- Last names M-R
- Kathy McKelvey
- Last Names S-Z
Information System Specialist over Admissions and Residency
Assistant Superintendent over Admissions and Residency
Department of Spanish Translation & Interpretation
- Phone: 816-521-5394 Ext. 1
If you were a previous student in the ISD but did not finish the 2017-2018 school year, you will register as a new student. DO NOT USE your student number, this will cause your registration not to be processed.
Please click link below to start your online registration.
for the 2018-19 School Year
Student Registration for the 2018-2019 School Year
New Registrations - K through 12th grade
- Please use the link above to complete the online registration
- If you were a previous ISD student and are returning, please do the online registration as a NEW STUDENT. DO NOT put in your student ID# because this will cause your online registration not to be processed by an Admissions Specialist.
- Once submitted, the registration will go to an Admissions Specialist, who will request records from your student(s) previous school. If they have any questions, they will contact you.
- Once records are received the Admissions Specialist will call you and make an appointment for you to come in with your documents. These documents include but are not limited to:
- Photo ID of parent/guardian enrolling student
- Birth certificate
- Immunizations-if not received from previous school
- Court Documents, such as custody documents etc.
- Proof of Residency-refer to the section ISD Required Proof of Residency Documents on this page
- Appointment time - expect to meet with Admissions Specialist to review your online registration, documents, and scan in necessary documents to student databse. Admissions Specialist will also give you a projected starting date and email the receiving school your information. We will put student start date as 2 business days from the appointment date.
- Parent/Guardian will be contacted by their student(s) school to schedule appointment for scheduling purposes.
Early Education Online Registration
- Completing the online registration DOES NOT mean your child is enrolled in Early Education. Please do the following:
- Call Early Education at 816-521-5314 to set up appointment for screening and to complete any other steps in the process
- Questions about whether you are within our district boundaries - visit the FAQ page on this website and use the boundary map OR call 816-521-5588
- Make sure you place a check mark in the box of the appropriate grade level to help identify the correct school your student may attend
- Not a legal guardian of the student--make sure you fill out a Non-Custodial Waiver Form located under the Frequently Requested Forms section of this page
- This waiver form will then have to be approved before enrollment can be processed.
- Not able to provide anything in your name as proof of residency -- See Residency Affidavit under Frequently Requested Forms section of this page or call Admissions Office at 816-521-5588.
In order to enroll in the Independence School District, each family must prove residency annually. To prove residency, the following documentation is needed. If you do not have the appropriate documentation, you may be asked to make another appointment so you can provide the documentation before student(s) will be enrolled. Please have a Photo ID with you also to verify name on bill matches parent/guardian enrolling student.
- An Electric or Gas Bill from the current address (no more than 30 days old)
AND one of the following
- Copy of Mortgage Payment, Deed of Trust, or Housing Contract
- Copy of Rental Agreement,
- Copy of Lease Agreement,
- Copy of Jackson County Paid Personal Property Tax Receipt
In order to register into the Independence School District, Missouri law requires all students be up-to-date on their immunizations. Click the link below for a handout on immunizations required for all public school students in the state of Missouri. Proof of immunizations must be submitted at the time of registration.
Vaccination Requirements for Incoming 8th and 12th Grade Students
The Independence School District along with the Jackson County Health Department will offer required vaccines for ISD middle and high school students.
MCV and TDAP clinics will be held on Tuesday, August 7th at Truman High School from 9 am to 7 pm.
MCV and TDAP clinics will also be held on Wednesday, August 8th at Pioneer Ridge Middle School from 9 am to Noon and Nowlin Middle School from 1 pm to 4 pm.
Jackson County Health Department clinicians will come to the schools and administer Tdap and MCV immunizations. Tdap is a booster offering continued protection from diphtheria, tetanus and whooping cough (pertussis). MCV offers protection from Meningococcal disease. A parent must be present to sign a consent form. If you have insurance, a card is required and the insurance will be billed. It will be free if you don’t have insurance.
The state of Missouri requires all incoming 8th and 12th grade students to have the MCV vaccine. Tdap vaccinations are required for all incoming 8th grade students. Schedules will be held until proof of immunization is received.