Van Horn High School
The evening Jamboree will be a continuation of the Daytime Jamboree but with more…..
- Business Partners will join our Academy tables in the cafeteria.
- Global classes will have tables throughout the atrium displaying their information.
- Core class teachers will each have an assigned topic, and will share that information with parents at displays set up for individual conversations/Q&A’s
For a complete breakdown and explanation of the Academies please go to the link below.
For information regarding core class enrollment requirements, please watch the video link below.
For information regardingHigh School graduation requirements and college admission requirements, please go to the link below.
During severe weather, school personnel will be monitoring conditions through local news reports and the National Weather Service. Each school is equipped with radios for scanning the National Weather Service. All schools conduct tornado drills with students at least twice a year to ensure they are aware of procedures.
- Students and staff will move to designated safe places and proceed into the precautionary duck and cover position.
- Please refrain from coming to school to pick up your child during a tornado warning as staff will be keeping students safe and unable to respond to parent requests.
- Students will not be dismissed from school while the area is under a tornado warning.
- Students will be held at school and buses will not be allowed to transport students until the tornado warning has been lifted and the all clear is given.
- Phones may not be answered during a tornado warning, as students and staff will be in the precautionary duck and cover position.
- Parents will be notified via the SchoolMessenger notification system of any changes in transportation, as well as school delays associated with a tornado warning.
- The ISD will share updates via the District website and ISD Facebook and Twitter as soon as information becomes available.
As you progress through your senior year, remember this information.
This new webpage created by our College Advisor, Katie Meyer, has a tremendous amount of information including campus visits, scholarship searches and what you should be doing NOW to prepare for your future.
Apply Missouri - Helping students find the best fit for higher education. Van Horn's goal is to have each senior apply to at least one college before the end of the month of October!
This is Van Horn’s third year participating in Apply Missouri! Over the course of the month, there will be activities to help create a college going culture with underclassmen, assist seniors and parents with the college going process, and generate excitement and engagement among students about their future after high school.
For more information - Apply Missouri
The A+ Program is a scholarship program through the Missouri Department of Higher Education. You can find complete information from the Missouri Department of Higher Education at http://dhe.mo.gov/ppc/grants/aplusscholarship.php
For ISD specific information and forms
For a list of 4 year institutions that take A+ check out
A+ Program on our College Center Website
Van Horn High School
Principal: Randy Maglinger
Click HERE for Counseling Center and Enrollment Information.
Click HERE to go to the Library Media website.
- District Website
- Counseling Center
- ISD Sports - Van Horn
- Library Media Center
- Student Information
- Van Horn Alumni Association Website
- Title One District Brochure
- No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 Complaint Procedures
- Title I - Parent Procedure Policy
- A+ FAQs and Forms
- The Academies of the ISD
The students, faculty, and staff of Van Horn High School welcome you to our learning community. Van Horn High School opened its doors in 1955. At the start of the 2008-2009 school year, Van Horn joined the family of the Independence School District. Independence is committed to ensuring that each graduating class of Falcons fulfills the school motto and all “Dare to Be Wise!”
At Van Horn High School we build positive relationships, achieve high academic standards, and develop literacy in order to engage the world.
Van Horn opened in 1955 and the first class graduated in 1956. It was originally constructed in 1955 on the site of Honeywood, house of former Civil War era Kansas City mayor, Robert T. Van Horn, a prominent newspaper publisher and statesman.
1109 South Arlington Avenue Independence, Missouri 64053
Main Line: 816.521.5360
Attendance Line: 816.521.5429
Main Office Hours
Monday-Friday 7 AM - 3:30 PM
Doors Open at 7 AM
Classes 7:20 AM - 2:14 PM
Please remember that a picture ID is required for entry into the building. This policy is in effect in order to protect the safety of our students and staff.